The Top 5 Mass Gainers Reviewed
Exercising helps many people lose weight, and it is often associated with slimming down and dropping dress sizes. However, some people prefer to exercise to add muscle mass and actually grow bigger for a better physique or improved performance. While losing weight calls for a calorie deficit, gaining weight in the gym means you’re going to have to consume a larger number of calories on a daily basis.
Eating a lot of food is not desirable for everyone, however, and some people who want to gain weight cannot seem to keep up with their necessary calorie intake. This can be frustrating as you’ll see little progress in the gym and may feel nauseous and bloated from all the eating, which is where mass gainers come in.
In a hurry?
We know you’re probably itching to get to the gym with your new mass gainer in tow, so we won’t hold you up any longer.
Out of all of the options we looked at on the market, the Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gainer Protein Powder was the best option in our eyes.
Below are just a few of the reasons why we think so:
- Per serving you’ll get a large number of calories, protein, carbohydrates, and 25 vitamins and minerals.
- It comes in six different flavors to choose from.
- You can mix it with almost any ingredient to increase the calorie or macro amounts.
Mass gainer supplements are powders that you can turn into drinks or place into your food to increase your calorie intake. Liquid calories are often much easier to consume than those found in food, which is why mass gainers have become so popular among bodybuilders. Mass gainers are full of carbs, protein and some include amino acids as well, so you can rake up your macros as well.
Below we have found the best mass gainers on the market, so you can spend less time looking and more time gaining. We’ve also included a buyers guide full of the most important factors to remember when looking for your new mass gainer.
Best Mass Gainers
Serious Mass offers an impressive 1,250 calories, 50 grams of protein, and over 250 grams of carbs per serving, along with 25 vitamins and minerals to aid your muscle growth journey and recovery. Moreover, there are only 5 grams of fat in each serving, proving that all the calories you’ll be consuming are healthy, high-quality calories.
Among the 25 vitamins and minerals, there are 500 grams of glutamine and 3 grams of creatine. Two scoops amounts to one serving with this mass gainer, meaning that the 6-pound tub holds around eight servings, whereas the 12-pound alternative comes with around 16 servings.
Choose between six sweet flavors, including Strawberry, Chocolate Peanut Butter, or Cookies and Cream, to ensure you enjoy your mass gainer supplement while you’re working on your body.
- 25 vitamins and minerals included.
- It can be made with almost any other ingredients, such as nuts or frozen fruit.
- Six flavors to make liquid calories taste delicious.
- The vitamin quantities may take you over your daily recommended values.
- High in sugar.
- Vitamin C, Zinc and Vitamin D Provide Immune Support along with Vitamin E
- Packaging may vary - New look, with the same trusted Quality!
- High Calorie Weight Gainer: 1,250 Calories per 2-Scoop Serving
- 50 Grams of Protein per Serving
- Over 250 Grams of Carbohydrates per Serving
Next up is a mass gainer that offers 1310 calories per serving, with 245 grams of carbs and 52 grams of protein also included. These proteins included within the supplement are a mix of slow, medium, and fast-digesting, which will all offer staggered muscle support to ensure your recovery is guided and comfortable.
Moreover, you’ll find 17 vitamins and minerals packed into this mass gainer which will give you the best chance at seeing a difference in your muscles quicker.
An impressive ingredient is 10.7 grams of BCAAs, 5.1 grams of which are Leucine, which will help to kickstart your muscle protein synthesis, a key component in your gains as it helps with growth and recovery.
This easy to mix supplement comes in three different flavors for you to choose from, and you can choose between a six-pound tub or a 12-pound alternative. Dymatize Super Mass Gainer is ideal for people of all skill levels and will help you grow your muscle mass even if you have previously found it difficult to achieve progress.
- Great amount of macros and calories to amp up your intake.
- Works well for beginners and advanced trainers alike.
- Many vitamins and minerals to aid your growth and recovery.
- BCAAs may cause side effects, so it is advised that you read up on these beforehand.
- The scoop that comes with this product is not of high quality.
- 10.7 grams of BCAAs as building blocks, including 5.1g Leucine, as building blocks to help activate Muscle Protein Synthesis
- 1310 calories and 245g carbs per serving to help even the hardest gainers pack on mass
- 52 grams of protein per serving (a blend of fast, medium, and slow digesting proteins) for muscle support
- 17 vitamins and minerals to support balanced nutrition, healthy muscle tissue and muscle recovery
Pro Gainer is a lower calorie alternative to the mass gainers we’ve looked at previously, offering 650 calories per serving. Having said that, the protein and carbohydrate content is not affected by this and you’ll be consuming 60g of protein and 85g of carbs per serving.
An impressive feature of Pro Gainer is that there is a mere 1g of added sugar for each serving, so you can be assured that your fat content will not be affected.
Out of the 60g of protein found in this mass gainer, it is all made up of a mixture of seven different sources. These high-quality proteins are easy to absorb and you won’t have any problem digesting them, giving them more time to get to work and help your muscles grow and recover.
What’s more is that each serving actually houses 26 vitamins and minerals to aid you on your fitness journey. There are also MCTs and amino acids to be found in this mass gainer, so there are many different ingredients within that ensure your body is comfortable, healthy, and ready to gain muscle mass.
- Four flavors to choose from.
- Range of macro- and micronutrients to aid you.
- Very little sugar within the supplement.
- Smaller calorie amount.
- Serving suggestions and included scoop are questionable.
- Vitamin C and Zinc Provides Immune Support along with Vitamin E
- High-Quality Proteins: Pro Gainer is comprised of high biological value proteins, which means they are easily digested and absorbed so they provide a full complement of amino acids to support the rebuilding process. Each serving of Pro Gainer provides a 60-gram dose of premium muscle-building protein made from 7 unique sources.
- Complex Carbohydrates & Lipids: Carbohydrates and lipids (fats and oils) provide sustained energy that help prevent proteins from being burned as fuel. Each serving of Pro Gainer provides 85 grams of carbohydrates and 4-5 grams of fiber with only 5 grams of sugar. In addition Pro Gainer supplies medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) and other energy-dense lipids.
- Micronutrients: Various vitamins and essential minerals are utilized during the growth process. Without these micronutrients your body cannot effectively process proteins, carbohydrates, or fats. Each serving of Pro Gainer provides 26 vitamins and essential minerals.
- Calories: To gain just one extra pound, you need to consume approximately 3,500 calories-above and beyond what you normally consume through foods, beverages, and supplements. Pro Gainer provides over 600 calories per serving. By adding just one serving to your daily routine, you can begin to experience an increase in lean mass within the first week.
Similar to Pro Gainer, Muscle Milk Gainer offers the user 650 calories per serving, along with 109g of carbohydrates and 32 grams of protein. There are also 3 grams of Leucine, which is sourced from the milk proteins, which is an amino acid that supports your muscle mass growth as well as helping to maintain it effectively.
According to the serving suggestion, you’ll get 14 servings from one 5-pound tub, which for the price actually works out at good value for money.
You can use this mass gainer in a number of recipes for food and drink, so you’ll never get bored of this supplement.
Muscle Milk Gainer is ideal for people who find it difficult to gain muscle, whether that be because of a high metabolism or struggle to consume enough calories. This mass gainer is gluten-free and does not contain any banned substances. It also comes in three different flavors to choose from.
- Good value for money.
- It helps to build lean muscle mass.
- Four flavors to choose from.
- Caused one consumer to have heart palpitations.
- A few reviewers have received products that smell bad.
- Everyday Gains Muscle Milk Gainer Is a Specialized Product Designed for Hard Gainers: Those of Us That More Easily Lose Than Gain Size and Strength
- Key Features Muscle Milk Gainer Powder Contains 32 Grams of Protein, 3 Grams of Leucine From Milk Proteins, and 650 Calories in Every 4 Scoops (162g), the Recommended Usage for Individuals Looking to Build Size and Gain Muscle Mass
- Usage Muscle Milk Gainer Powder Can Be Used Pre Workout, Post Workout or as an Anytime Protein Rich Meal Option or Snack
- Great Tasting Shak Mix 4 scoops (162g) MUSCLE MILK Gainer Powder into 10 16 fluid ounces water for a Great Tasting Shak; You can also add it to pancakes, smoothies or other recipes to increase the protein content
- Work Out; Refuel; Rebuild; Advance; Consuming Both Fast and Slow Release Proteins, Like Those Found in Muscle Milk Gainer, Helps Keep Your Body in Positive Protein Balance
Finally, TRUE-MASS offers the user 700 calories per serving, with a desirable 2:1 ratio of carbs to proteins. In each serving, you’ll get from 45-60 grams of protein, which is all sourced from high-quality ingredients such as egg whites and whey protein concentrate.
Moreover, you’ll also find MCTs within this mass gainer to give you a well-rounded supplement that hits all your targets.
Within every serving, you’ll also be getting 10 grams of naturally occurring BCAAs, which really help with your recovery after your difficult training regimes.
You can choose from four different flavors, such as Vanilla Ice Cream and Chocolate Milkshake, and between two different sizes depending on your needs.
For the larger bag, which is over 10 pounds, you actually get over 1200 calories, 50 grams of protein, and 215 grams of carbohydrates per serving, so which one you choose will depend on your requirements and how many calories you need to consume every day.
- A mixture of quick, medium and slow absorbing proteins within.
- Naturally-occurring BCAAs aid your recovery and keep your muscles happy between training sessions.
- Choose from either 700 calories or 1200.
- Customers prefer the taste to the smaller tubs than the larger alternatives.
- May contain unnatural chemicals.
- 700 CALORIES PER SERVING – help add the quality mass to your frame that you’ve been looking for post-workout or even between meals
- 2:1 RATIO OF CARBS & PROTEIN – provide your body a quality mix of carbs and protein the support your mass gaining goals
- 46G-50G PROTEIN FROM ULTRA-PREMIUM PROTEIN SOURCES –whey protein concentrate, calcium caseinate, milk protein isolate, whey protein isolate, micellar casein, hydrolyzed whey protein, and egg whites
- MCT FATS – round out the nutritional value of each shake and complement the legendary great date from BSN
- 10G NATURALLY OCCURRING BCAAs PER SERVING – supports your recovery efforts from intense bouts of exercise
Mass Gainer Buyers Guide
Now we’ve looked at the five best mass gainers available on the market, below we’ll talk about some factors to take into account before settling on one mass gainer. Remembering these factors while comparing different options will ensure you choose the best mass gainer for you and your goals.
Chances are that you won’t be taking mass gainer supplements for the fun of it, but rather to up your calorie intake so that you can fuel your muscle gain effectively. This means that the benefits that come from a mass gainer are rather important in the decision of whether or not to go for each product.
The majority of the benefits are going to come from the ingredients, so let’s look at the main ingredients you’re going to want to focus on.
When looking to bulk up, you should make a regime that tells you what your calorie intake should be per day. Once you have this information, you’ll be able to find a mass gainer that helps you achieve your calorie goal the best. Some mass gainers offer as little as 500 calories per serving, while some reach up to 1500 calories per serving.
The mass gainer you choose should have the right amount of calories that you need to achieve your daily intake goal. If you find it extremely difficult to reach this number, a higher calorie option is the right way to go, whereas if you don’t find it difficult and just need a final push, a less calorific option may be better suited to you.
You want your mass gainer to be full of protein and carbs, with very little fat content. Again, you may have a target in your regime that tells you the macro ratio you need to achieve, so this may sway your decision on which supplement to choose. The majority of weight gainers will hold around 40 grams of protein and 70 grams of carbs, however, the latter can reach up to 250 grams. Everyone is different so it’s important to make sure that you’re choosing the right macro ratio for you.
The ingredients list is an important thing to check before choosing your mass gainer. Some brands tend to hike up the carb and calorie amount by using unhealthy ingredients such as sugar, which is counterproductive and may increase your fat intake to an unhealthy level.
Other ingredients to look at are the vitamins and minerals, and the amount of each per serving. You don’t want to go over the recommended daily amount as this could potentially be dangerous, so be sure to check that everything is proportionate and healthy before consuming.
Mass gainers are considered rather expensive for what they are, however, many trainers believe that the price is worth it when you weigh the price against the benefits and effects. That being said, you may be slightly frustrated with your chosen mass gainer if you open it and only find that you have a handful of servings after spending a hefty price.
It is always worth spending a little time working out how much it is going to cost per serving, rather than for the supplement overall. This way, you’ll be able to see how much use you’ll get out of your purchase, as there’s no use spending more money for only three days worth of use.
Be cautious of mass gainers that have low prices, however, as this may be an indicator that the ingredients used to make it are not as high-quality as they should be. This may affect your muscle growth and recovery, so you should try and find a mid-priced mass gainer to ensure you’re getting a good performance without having to spend too much money for a few servings.
Poor tasting mass gainers can force you to stop drinking them and wasting your money, which is why finding a flavor that you’re going to enjoy is very important. Some flavors require a lot of sugar to create, so bear in mind that some sweet flavors may not be the healthiest option. Moreover, some flavors sound nice but don’t taste anything like what they’re meant to, so check customer reviews to see if people actually find it nice or not.
You can often tell quite a lot by the brand of a product – if they are well known and reputable, your product is more likely to be trustworthy and of a higher quality than if the brand is unknown. Of course, this is not always the case, however, when dealing with consumable products it is often better to be safe than sorry.
Also, make sure to check the customer reviews to ensure the product is legitimate and offers a good performance. There are unfortunately a few fake products on the market, and the reviews are the place to look to ensure that you’re not accidentally purchasing a counterfeit product.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the side effects of mass gainer?
Some users of mass gainers have reported side effects that can potentially harm the body, so it is advised that you consult your doctor before taking any supplements, like weight gainers. A list of side effect risks that have been associated with mass gainers follows:
- Muscle aches and pains: People who overtrain after using muscle gainers can often pull their muscles or suffer from painful cramps. This is because not enough fluid can get to the muscles.
- Nausea: Although uncommon, weight gainers have been seen to cause nausea and diarrhea due to the powder not being used correctly. If you use too much powder, it may not dissolve completely and therefore may cause you to feel ill if it cannot be digested properly.
- Liver problems: These have been reported after weight trainers have used too much mass gainer for the body to keep up with. Mass gainers can be fatal when used with alcohol, so make sure to read the instructions properly before using your supplement.
- Breathing problems: Another side effect of consuming too much mass gainer is breathing problems such as coughing, wheezing, and sometimes can even develop into asthma. People with existing breathing problems should not consume mass gainers, to begin with as it may make them worse.
- Weight gain: If you consume more calories than you can use for fuel while training, the excess can turn into fat and cause unhealthy weight gain. To prevent this counterproductive side effect, make sure your calorie intake matches how many your workout routine calls for.
Can mass gainer replace meals?
You can use most mass gainers to replace a meal every now and again, however, it will be more effective to use your weight gainer alongside your meals to ensure you achieve your daily calorie goal.
How to make the most of mass gainers
Last Updated on