The Top 7 Pre Workout Supplements Reviewed
Whether it’s a struggle to lift above a certain weight or finding it difficult to improve your time over distance, no matter how long you’ve been working out for, there always comes a point in time where you feel like you’ve hit a plateau.
If you feel like this is happening to you, then a pre-workout supplement could be the answer you’ve been looking for. These supplements are designed to not only give you a boost of power to get you going, but are also a great way to consistently deliver increased energy levels throughout your training session.
In a hurry?
If you’re in a hurry and are looking for a pre-workout that will help you reach your full potential when you next hit the gym, take a look at 4 Gauge Pre-Workout. We love it.
Some pre-workouts can even help to speed up recovery time, which means that you’ll be able to get back to the gym and take on your next training session even faster than you were able to before.
However, with each pre-workout supplement containing a different mix of ingredients, and with each one promising to do something different than the other, finding the best one for your own training goals can become a bit confusing.
That’s why we’ve done the hard work for you! Below, we’ve listed five of the best pre-workout supplements available, along with a useful buying that helps break down and explain the most common ingredients, as well as gives you some pointers on what to keep an eye out for before you purchase.
So, keep reading and pretty soon you’ll be smashing each training session with an increased level of energy that will help you reach your goals even quicker!
Best Pre Workout Supplements
Thoroughly researched and tested by fitness experts and professionals, 4 Gauge contains a unique 4-in-1 formula, including high-level cognitive enhancers that help boost your motivation, allowing you to get the most out of each workout, giving you faster progress and helping you develop that killer physique.
The naturally derived ingredients include L-Citrulline DL-Malate, which is extracted from watermelon. This is converted into L-Arginine by your kidneys and promotes your body’s nitric-oxide levels, allowing more blood to pump through your veins as you train.
It also contains caffeine and L-Theanine, both of which work as natural stimulants, as well as providing you with greater levels of focus and control. Meanwhile, the addition of Rhodiola Rosea helps combat fatigue, and red beets increase your plasma nitrate by 52% to give you an improved anaerobic performance.
The delicious ‘Fruit Blast’ flavor contains absolutely no artificial sweeteners, and comes in at only 5 calories per serving, so you don’t have to worry about any hidden calories ruining your progress. 4 Gauge is also prepared in FDA & cGMP environments, so you can rest assured that everything is totally safe to use.
- Designed with a unique 4-in-1 formula, all-natural ingredients, and high-level cognitive enhancers that help boost your motivation
- Contains L-Citrulline-DL-Malate, extracted from watermelon, to promote nitric-oxide levels and allow more blood to pump through your veins
- Natural stimulation is provided by caffeine, which is mixed with L-Theanine to also give you better focus and control
- Helps to combat fatigue by using natural Rhodiola Rosea, and also contains red beets to help deliver an improved anaerobic performance
- Comes in a delicious ‘Fruit Blast’ flavor that is only 5 calories per serving, and is created in FDA & cGMP environments
- Only available in one flavor, ‘Fruit Blast’, which is really tasty but might not be appealing to everybody
Containing 150mg of caffeine, the C4 Original Pre-Workout from Cellucor is designed to provide your body with the explosive boost of energy you need for lifting heavier weights and smashing out even more sets.
Amongst its ingredients you’ll find a massive 417% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C. This helps to support your immune system not just whilst you’re training, but throughout the day as well. It also contains 1.6g of Carnosyn™ Beta-Alanine, which helps to fight fatigue and helps you go that extra mile when you’d ordinarily feel like quitting.
This amazing pre-workout is also formulated with creatine monohydrate for increased muscle performance, and Arginine-AKG to help keep you going. On top of that, it’s totally calorie free, so you can use it confidently without having to worry about consuming any extra calories that you’ve not accounted for in your daily intake.
Sugar-free, and available in 7 delicious flavors, including ‘Orange Burst’, ‘Pink Lemonade’ and ‘Icy Blue Razz’, C4 Original Pre-Workout has an option for every taste, whilst ensuring that you smash every training session with an extra boost of power.
- Contains 150mg of caffeine that delivers an explosive boost of energy right when you need it most
- Also contains 417% of your recommended daily intake of Vitamin C, keeping your immune system supported right throughout the day
- Helps fight fatigue thanks to it’s 1.6g of Carnosyn™ Beta-Alanine
- Other ingredients include creatine monohydrate for increased muscle performance and Arginine-AKG to give you an extra boost
- Sugar free, calorie free and available in 7 delicious flavors
- Customers that previously purchased this pre-workout noted that it was a little weaker than some others they had tried, however this makes it perfect for a beginner to pre-workout supplements
- America's #1 Pre-Workout Brand
- 150mg of Caffeine Per Serving
- 0 Sugar and 0 Calories Per Serving
- 1.6g CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine
- Vitamin C for Immune Support - 417% of Daily Value Per Serving
Specifically formulated to work in two stages, the Vintage Blast Pre-Workout from Old School Labs helps to enhance your training performance, gives you an extra boost of energy and ensures you get sustainable results from every workout.
Formulated using all-natural ingredients, this pre-workout gives you that hit you need for taking on bigger training sessions, but also helps to burn fat whilst helping you maintain lean muscle. It also contains a high level of Vitamin C that helps support your immune system, and reduces any soreness or DOMS you can experience after training.
It also contains a plethora of electrolytes and micronutrients that work to maintain hydration and pH levels, which in turn reduces oxidation and improves recovery time, meaning you can head back to the gym much quicker!
Taken 15-30 minutes before your training session, this nitric-oxide elevating supplement is ideal for anyone at any level of training, and the zero calorie formula ensures that you’re staying on track with your nutritional strategy.
- A two-stage pre-workout that gives you an initial boost to get you training, and delivers a steady and consistent performance whilst you workout
- Formulated using all-natural ingredients that don’t only give you a hit of energy, but also help to burn fat whilst maintaining lean muscle
- Contains high levels of Vitamin C that help to support the immune system and speed up recovery time
- Packed with electrolytes and micronutrients that maintain hydration and pH levels, also aidining in quicker recovery times
- Totally calorie free and can be used by anybody at any training level
- Some people that previously purchased this pre-workout found the texture a little chalky, however they were very impressed with the results it delivered
- PRE WORKOUT IN TWO STAGES: The world's first two-stage natural pre workout energy drink for men and women; steady delivery of ingredients to power you through workouts of all types, including cardio and home workouts.
- TESTED AND TRUSTED: Third-party tested pre workout supplement with exclusively premium ingredients. No banned substances; can be used for bodybuilding or any athletic event.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK: Old School Labs supplements never compromise on quality and always include clear and complete supplement facts without any "proprietary blends." We stand by our products 100%. If you are not completely satisfied with any OSL product, we will help you resolve your concern or provide a full refund.
- BUNDLE AND SAVE TODAY: Get 10% OFF any 2 products with code "OSLBUNDLE10" or 15% OFF any 4 products with code "OSLBUNDLE15".
- OSL HERITAGE: Old School Labs, California; Supplements That Make Sense, 40 Years in the Making. Only one thing has ever mattered to OSL: our customers. Before becoming a best-selling national brand with thousands of loyal customers and followers, this was our priority. That will never change. Our team of experts are available by email or social media to answer questions regarding the best way to use a product. Our products are sold on Amazon.com, proudly formulated in California, made in U.S.A.
This Pre-Workout Powder from Alani-Nu is ideal for anybody looking to get an extra hit of energy ahead of their training session, and also comes in a variety of different flavors, so there is an option for everyone!
Packing a powerful 200mg of caffeine, you’ll not only be given the boost you need to get on with your workout, but will also be sustained throughout. This means that you’ll be able to hit each rep and set with maximum effort, without any chance of fatigue getting the better of you.
It also contains 1.6g of Beta-Alanine and L-Theanine to further enhance it’s fatigue-fighting powers, and 6g of citrulline to promote your body’s nitric-oxide levels, letting more blood course through your veins and power you.
On top of that, 500mg of L-Tyrosine has been added to this pre-workout’s formula, which produces a chemical in your brain that communicates with your body and enhances your alertness level. This gives you better concentration and control, allowing you to perform each lift correctly even when you’re taking on heavier loads.
- Comes in a variety of flavors, giving you the option to choose your favorite or mix it up throughout the week depending on your mood
- Contains 200mg of caffeine that doesn’t only give you that initial energy boost, but also keep you powered throughout your training session
- Als contains 1.6 grams of Beta-Alanine and L-Theanine for an anti-fatigue effect
- Promotes your body’s nitric-oxide levels and gets more blood pumping through your veins with 6 grams of citrulline
- The 500mg serving of L-Tyrosine also gives you a better level of alertness and control whilst you train
- Some previous customers that purchased this pre-workout noted that it took a good amount of mixing to get it to a smooth consistency, however this is easily achieved with a protein shaker or blender
- PRE-WORKOUT POWDER: Packed with 200 mg of caffeine to provide energy during workouts and training sessions, and with 1.6G of beta-alanine, 6G of citrulline, 500mg of L-Tyrosine to support your goals
- 100% TRANSPARENT INGREDIENTS: Contains no proprietary blends, so you know exactly what you’re getting
- MULTIPLE DELICIOUS FLAVORS: Don't wait for cheat day! Packed with all the nutrients you need and none of the fillers that you don't. Crush your goals and build strength everyday
- BANNED-SUBSTANCE TESTED: We care about the products you put into your body, banned substance tested and is manufactured in a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) compliant facility
Containing no artificial ingredients, no-gmo ingredients and totally gluten free, this Pre-Workout Powder from The Genius Brand provides you with a powerful boost of energy that’s totally clean and transparent.
It’s also caffeine free, which means you’re not getting a stimulated energy boost, and makes it a fantastic choice for any gym enthusiast that provides to steer clear of anything with caffeine in the ingredients. Instead, it uses a formula of Citrulline-Malate, Beta-Alanine and ATP that work together to give you steady and consistent results without any rapid energy elevation.
AstraGin™ is a nutrient that you’ll also find within the formulation of this pre-workout, which helps to ensure the food your eating is absorbed into your body properly. This helps to ensure that your future performance is enhanced naturally by your diet, and reduces the dependency on pre-workout supplementation.
This pre-workout powder also contains CarnoSyn™, a proven amino acid that provides the body with more strength and an enhanced level of endurance, whilst also helping to fight against fatigue during training so you can get more out of your session.
- Contains no artificial ingredients, is gmo-free and gluten-free
- Is also caffeine free, so is ideal for anybody looking for a pre-workout that doesn’t contain caffeine
- Uses a formulation of citrulline malate, beta-alanine and ATP to give you a consistent energy boost without a rapid elevation
- Also contains the nutrient AstraGin™, which helps to absorb the nutrients from your food into your body, allowing you to utilize them in your next workout
- Will also fight against fatigue as you train by using an amino acid called CarnoSyn™
- Only comes in one flavour, ‘Sour Apple’, which might not be to everybody’s personal taste
- SYNERGISTIC MIND TO MUSCLE FORMULA – Unlock strength & power that will take you beyond raw capabilities and push you to new levels of excellence; Genius Pre is the World’s 1st Clinically Dosed Nootropics Based Pre Workout; Your physical capabilities are guaranteed to expand when your brain is engaged with the proper (all-natural) nutrients & your muscles are stimulated by scientifically proven ingredients
- CAFFEINE FREE & SCIENTIFICALLY SUPERIOR - From a scientific standpoint; This is the absolute best pre workout for men and women. Don’t fall for flashy marketing hype and misinformation; Caffeine, DMAA & DMHA actually reduce blood flow. Find yourself mentally energized & esp focused with natural ingredients like huperzine a, taurine and l tyrosine; No heavily caffeinated powder or energy drink compares
- ULTIMATE NITRIC OXIDE BOOSTING POWERHOUSE – With 6 Grams of l citrulline malate (6x the competition), beta alanine and ATP all brought together, you’re ensured rapid NO elevation; Go into full muscle pump mode where you can expect more endurance & faster recovery
- NATURALLY SWEETENED WITHOUT THE JUNK – Genius Pre is 100% naturally flavored and sweetened with organic, vegan friendly stevia; Our formula is certified for sport and 3rd party tested for purity and potency
Pre Workout Supplements Buyers Guide
Pre-workout supplements are a really good way to give yourself an extra boost of power when you’re taking on a tough training session, and can also help to deliver a steady stream of energy whilst you’re working out.
However, as with anything you’re thinking about putting into your body, it’s really important to take some time to research it properly. Below, we’ve broken down some of the jargon into less-confusing explanations. We’ve also put together some points you should think about before settling on your final purchase.
Taking the time to consider these will help you find the best pre-workout available for your individual needs, which in turn will help you get the most out of each training session.
There can be a lot of confusion around the ingredients that are contained within pre-workouts, and trying to decipher which each of them does and how it will benefit you can leave you feeling more than a bit confused.
It is, however, very important to know what each ingredient does before you use it, so we’ve taken some of the most popular ingredients used in pre-workout formulas and listed them below with a brief explanation of what it is used for.
- Citrulline-Malate: A naturally occurring nutrient, usually extracted from watermelon, that is used to boost nitric-oxide levels in the body, allowing more blood to travel through the veins for increased energy and heart rate
- Creatine: Increases muscle performance, so helps you lift heavier weights with more confidence and control
- Vitamin C: Helps to boost to boost your immune system as you train and throughout the day, and also helps to aid with your recovery post-workout
- Rhodiola Rosea: Helps to combat fatigue, allowing you to train for longer periods without feeling as though you’re lacking the energy to do so
- Beets: Increases plasma-nitrate by a huge amount, allowing you to train with enhanced anaerobic performance
- L-Tyrosine: Produces a chemical in your brain that communicates with your body and gives you a better level of control and alertness
These are just a few of the most commonly found ingredients in pre-workouts, and many use different formulas and measurements of them to provide you with different effects. So, make sure you check through all of the ingredients before buying, and try to purchase one that is most closely related to your own training goals.
A lot of pre-workout supplements also contain caffeine. This gives you a pretty much immediate boost of energy, leaving you feeling powered up and ready to go.
Caffeine is also quite reliable for providing a steady stream of energy whilst you’re training, but some people find that they can crash and feel fatigued after using pre-workouts that contain it.
The choice of using a pre-workout that contains caffeine will ultimately come down to personal preference, and people that drink coffee or tea throughout the day will likely be less affected or susceptible to caffeine crashes than those who don’t.
There are a few pre-workout supplements available that don’t contain any caffeine, and these are great for people who don’t want to risk the crash, or want a less immediate energy boost.
Ingredients to look for in this case would be Citrulline-Malate and Beta-Alanine, which are naturally derived and will give you a steady, consistent level of extra energy without any risk of over-stimulation or crashing.
Caffeine free pre-workouts also make a better option for anybody new to training, or anybody thinking of using pre-workout supplements for the first time, as they’ll give you a much gentler boost.
Something that you’ll definitely want to consider when you’re shopping for a pre-workout supplement is what flavors it is available in. You are going to be drinking it after all, so it needs to be appealing to your taste buds!
The majority of pre-workouts come in a range of flavors, which doesn’t only mean there’s a better chance of you finding one that you find particularly delicious, but also gives you the opportunity to choose a few different flavors and mix it up throughout the week.
Some pre-workouts are only available in one flavor, so if you’re thinking of going for one of these then it’s a good idea to make sure that you find out what that flavor is, and whether or not you think you’ll enjoy it before purchasing.
After you’ve smashed a tough gym session, it’s highly likely that you’re going to experience some muscle soreness or a case of the dreaded DOMS (Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness), and whilst it’s easy to think that pre-workouts are only going to help you with your workout, there are some that also offer you some relief in the way of recovery.
L-Theanine is one of these ingredients, and is an amino acid that is found in green tea that helps to reduce and soothe muscle inflammation and brings a calming effect to the body that helps it to relax and heal.
By thinking about the recovery-providing properties of your pre-workout, you’ll not only feel a lot less sore the next day, but you’ll also be able to get back to the gym and take on another training session much quicker.
Everybody knows that working out is only half the picture when it comes to sculpting your ideal physique, and that eating a correct diet plays a really large role as well. So, with that in mind, it’s important to think about how many calories each serving of your pre-workout will be giving you as well.
Most pre-workouts are totally calorie free, and even those that aren’t don’t tend to contain more than 5 per serving, but it’s always a good idea to check before buying. That way you can be certain that you’re not ingesting any hidden calories that you’ve not accounted for as part of your daily intake.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is pre-workout?
Pre-workout is a supplement that is taken 15-30 minutes before you start training. It provides you with an almost-immediate boost of energy so you can start your workout off well, and delivers a consistent level of energy throughout your session, allowing you to get the most out of it without feeling fatigued too early on.
Is pre-workout bad for you?
Generally speaking, pre-workout is not bad for you, as it will help you reach your training goals and help you to stay consistent as you train. However, it is not advisable to use it on every training session as you may develop a dependency on it, which can have a detrimental effect on your training over time.
For more information about pre workout supplements, watch this video:
Last Updated on