The Top 7 Spirulina Supplements Reviewed
Can the superfood sea algae spirulina help you workout? Yes, it can and get the body you want. What makes spirulina so special is it’s a type of bacteria that utilizes photosynthesis to produce energy. You can then use that energy for bodybuilding.
Another benefit of the swamp grass is it has eighteen of the twenty amino acids, which translates to protein. In case you don’t know, protein is the foundation of bodybuilding! Give your body a constant supply of protein each day will give you the most optimum amount of muscle growth.
We put together a list of the seven best spirulina supplements to help you work out harder and beef up your muscles. Find out all the benefits and side effects too of this superfood. Also, know that you are getting the best options free of unnecessary ingredients or harmful substances to maximize your body’s potential.
Best Spirulina Supplements
The best spirulina option is the Organic Spirulina Supplement by Micro Ingredients because it gives you easy to swallow pills with any additives. With a vegan and organic supplement like this on your side, you can detox heavy metals, lower cholesterol and blood pressure, and boost energy. Also, this supplement comes chockfull of vitamins and other nutrients your body needs to work at its best.
With this one ingredient supplement, you get 3,000 mg of spirulina over the course of six tablets. What you don’t get are any allergens or additives, such as sugar, soy, dairy, yeast, or gluten. Instead, you get significant amounts of fiber, amino acids, including omega fatty acids, including 3,6, and 9. You also get a whole host of vitamins, including A, B2, B12, C, K, and biotin.
Next, you also get minerals such as magnesium, calcium, potassium, and zinc. It also includes flavonoids, phytonutrients, and antioxidants. All these benefits without GMO’s, preservatives, artificial colors or flavors, or gluten. You don’t even get gelatin as these are tablets! Simply take six tablets a day or more depending on your needs and the recommendation of your physician.
Moreover, the supplements are third-party tested for purity and safety right here in America. With a high-quality brand like Micro Ingredients, you get a brand focused on your health as a priority. Get all the energy you need to enjoy your workouts and exercise longer.
- USDA Organic Spirulina Tablets from Spirulina Powder Organic, 3000mg Per Serving, 720 Counts (4 Months Supply), Green Algae Super Food and Vegan Friendly.
- Loaded with Fiber, Amino Acids (Omega 3 6 9, GLA, Arginine), Fatty Acids,Immune Vitamins (Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B12, Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Biotin), Minerals (Magnesium, Calcium, Potassium & Zinc Vitamin), Flavonoids, Phytonutrients and Antioxidants.
- Powerfully Supports Energy, Colon Health, Digestive Function and Immune System.
- No GMOs, No Additives, No Preservatives, No Artificial Colors, No Flavors, No Soy, No Fillers and No Gluten
- 3rd Party Lab Tested for Purity and Safety. Made in USA.
If you want a two-for-one, you need the 2 in 1 Chlorella & Spirulina Tablets by Wizelephant because it gives you two superfoods. We already know the benefits of the spirulina, but chlorella can help your body build too. Like its cousin spirulina, it can detox heavy metals and lower blood sugar and cholesterol. It can also promote weight loss, improve your immune system, and enhance aerobic endurance.
With this supplement, you can boost your energy levels to new heights and run longer, push farther, and lift more weights. The list of ingredients is short, with just chlorella and spirulina. You don’t get gluten, eggs, dairy, sugar, nuts, pesticides, GMO’s, chemicals, or additives. Instead, you get just a raw vegan supplement with tons of nutrients. Even better, the chlorella is broken cell for optimum benefits.
What’s inside this powerful supplement? Ingredients you need to promote natural energy, help detox, aid digestion, and even improve your skin and hair. Both ingredients are sustainably cultivated under natural sunlight using mineral-rich spring water and fresh mountain air. All this from an American company with a GMP and FDA approved facility.
See the difference in the tablets as they are beautiful pure spruce green. Take eight tablets a day with plenty of water. Now you can gain proteins from amino acids, vitamins A, B12, B6, iron, magnesium, biotin, phosphorus, manganese, and niacin. It’s basically an all-natural multi-vitamin ready to give you the body of your dreams. You may need to start out with smaller doses to reduce potential stomach issues.
- ✱ WHY US - Our Chlorella (Broken Cell Wall) & Spirulina is grown in Southern TAIWAN in a remote farm located far from cities. Our PREMIUM GRADE algae product is cultivated under the same conditions as Organic, using the same source of MINERAL-RICH environmentally protected spring water, NATURAL sunlight and FRESH mountain air. 100% PURE. Third-party lab tested - FREE from heavy metals & GMO’s.
- ✱ NATURAL SOURCE OF VITAMINS, MINERALS & AMINO ACIDS - 2 IN 1 Chlorella and Spirulina BLEND contains more than 100 NUTRIENTS needed for your body to be HEALTHY! Ultra-Rich in IRON, Beta-Carotene and PROTEIN with all essential AMINO ACIDS. Unique combination of NUCLEIC ACIDS (DNA&RNA), CHLOROPHYLL and CHLORELLA GROWTH FACTOR makes this BLEND much more nutritious than just Spirulina on its own.
- ✱ AMAZING HEALTH BENEFITS - It PURIFIES blood and brings body back to ALKALINE state. Cleansing CHLOROPHYLL restores natural ENERGY level. High in ANTIOXIDANT and enriched vitamin B complex. DETOXIFIES body and supports SKIN & HAIR health. Chlorella GROWTH FACTOR improves IMMUNE system & REPAIRES tissue cells. Enhances metabolism and speeds up WEIGHT LOSS. Improves MENTAL CLARITY and reduces FATIGUE.
- ✱ WIZELEPHANT PROMISE: We are a small family-owned healthy foods brand with a mission to produce the highest quality Superfood products and ensure they contain only natural and raw ingredients to support overall health and wellbeing. We believe our nutrient-filled Superfoods give the best results by nourishing your Body, Mind and Soul. GREAT HEALTH IS A KEY TO HAPPINESS!
- ✱ FREE GREEN SMOOTHIES EBOOK: Order our Superfood product NOW and you'll receive FREE Green Smoothie starter guide with 10 simple yet very nutritious smoothie recipes + Wizelephant Signature Smoothie. You’ll notice how easy is to get your vitamins and minerals to keep you full of ENERGY all day.
Now Food Organic Spirulina Tablets offers a sustainable 500 mg of our favorite superfood. If you are, looking for smaller doses and a slightly lower price, then look no further. Also, it’s organic, so you don’t have to worry about any creepy additives. The supplement is teeming with phytonutrients to support overall well-being and a balanced life.
What’s inside the bottle? You get spirulina at 500 mg from each tablet. The recommended dosage is six tablets for a standard 3,000 mg, although you can take more or less depending on your needs. That’s the only ingredient too! No yeast, wheat, gluten, soy, corn, milk, egg, fish, tree nuts or other allergens.
Furthermore, the supplement is produced in a GMP facility from a highly-recognizable brand. You can trust Now Foods to give you high-quality products without creepy ingredients that aren’t beneficial to your body. As the bottle comes with 500 tablets, you get an almost three-month supply, making this a very affordable option.
Load up on certified organic spirulina to increase your vitamins, minerals, and GLA. You get all of the energy you need and protein with a vegan plant-based super tablet. At first, the pills can make you gassy, and you may need to increase the dosage slowly.
Another fabulous option is Organic Spirulina Tablets- by Febico sourced from Taiwan. The company has a massive manufacturing site with tons of micro-algae certified by HACCP. While the company makes both chlorella and spirulina, with this supplement, you only get the latter. It’s pure and clean ready to improve your life with its alkalizing effect.
Why take this supplement? Because it contains all of the essential amino acids and several of the non-essential amino acids. It’s also the highest concentration of protein from any plant, herb, or animal per amount. You also get seventy percent of the vitamin B12 complex you need to boost your daily energy levels.
Like many spirulina supplements, this one comes with a standard 500 mg of the algae per pill, and they suggest you take six tablets per day. You can take three in the morning and three in the afternoon to prevent stomach aches and space out the dose. However, this is a little more pricey as you only get 180 tablets for a one month supply.
Get over twenty vitamins and 18 amino acids to run your body like a well-oiled machine. It’s best to take the supplement before meals. Also, you don’t need to worry about any additives, fillers, GMO’s, or preservatives. You can get your money back if you don’t love the supplement, but as is USDA certified organic and approved by Naturland, you will want to add this to your regular routine.
- [PURE ORGANIC SPIRULINA FROM TAIWAN]: Febico has 140,000 m2 manufacturing site with over 60 microalgae culture ponds, and the production facilities are certified by HACCP, ISO 22000. Plus, both spirulina and chlorella certified by USDA National Organic Program (NOP), Naturland, Halal Certificate. Provide you the purest and the cleanest spirulina and chlorella.
- [Purity- Nothing but Spirulina]: 500mg Per Tablet! The finest ingredients which is cultivated in pure mountain spring water, unpolluted area and sunny sunlight. Febico’s spirulina is no GMOs, no binders, no artificial colors, no artificial flavoring, and no preservatives added, just the best 100% pure spirulina nutritive ingredient. Also, 100% vegan friendly.
- [Boost Energy & Maintain Healthy Immune System]: Spirulina riches in beta-carotene and the essential fatty acid GLA, iron, B-complex vitamins, vitamins D, E and C, along with potassium, selenium, manganese, copper, chromium, magnesium, phosphorus and zinc. Spirulina provides support for the body’s energy.
- [Nature Alkalizing Superfood]: Spirulina is rich in protein containing all the essential amino acids. It contains the highest concentration of protein of any plant, herb or animal on per gm basis. It contains 70% of Vitamin B12 complex, and 18 kinds of Essential Amino Acids and antioxidants. Boost your daily energy with all nature sourced vitamins!
- [Daily Green Latte with Spirulina- Get Extra Energy]: Start your morning with Fresh Green Latte? Add Febico spirulina powder in your green latte or mixed with drinks, smoothies or added in meals like salads or appetizers to elevate nutrition facts. As one of the top superfoods in the world, it can provide needed nutrition.
Do you prefer to add your supplements to a protein shake before a workout? If you answered yes, then you need the Bulksupplements Spirulina (California-Grown) Powder so you can avoid tablets and instead get a glorious green powder ready to turn any drink into a super starter for your day.
What you get is a massive 2.2 pounds of pure spirulina with no additives. You don’t get soy, sugar, dairy, yeast, gluten, or additives. Instead, you get an organic version of a full amino acid profile, including essentials like arginine, histidine, isoleucine, leucine, lysine, methionine, phenylalanine, threonine, tryptophan, valine. You also get non-essential acids like alanine, aspartic acid, cystine, glutamic acid, glycine, proline, and tyrosine.
Moreover, as you only need one level teaspoon per day to gain all the benefits, you get a whopping 143 servings per container or almost five months of powder in a resealable foil-lined bag. It’s lab-tested for purity too! You even get a higher dose of spirulina than the other brands above with 7000 mg per serving.
Now you can add a little powder to your smoothie or liquid of choice to enjoy all the benefits for your muscles and heart health. However, the packaging is slightly messy, and the product isn’t USDA certified. Make sure you can tolerate the taste before committing to powder instead of tablets.
- Clean & pure powder. No fillers.
- Lab tested for verification & guaranteed purity
- Factory-sealed foil zip pouch
- Complete protein source
- Rich source of vitamins, minerals & amino acids
If you are looking for a protein shake mix with a high dose of spirulina, then you need the Hawaiian Spirulina Plant Protein Shake by Nutrex Hawaii. With this formula, you will get a boost in immunity and energy. You also get superior nutrition with antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and the highest protein levels of any plant or animal source.
Next, the supplement is up to seventy percent digestible with healthy doses of protein, iron, beta carotene, and tons of other vitamins. What’s inside? Pea protein, alfalfa protein, brown rice protein, rhodiola rosea, and panax ginseng. Of course, it also has 3,000 mg of spirulina to help improve the health profile. It does come with a few inactive ingredients for flavor, including natural sugars like organic coconut palm sugar, natural vanilla flavor, and stevia extract.
All the ingredients come from Hawaii and cultivated and grown in a bio-secure zone with clean water and ocean chill drying for a potent dose. It’s the highest quality and safety from a GMP certified facility with lab testing. It’s vegan, free of gluten and soy, along with fillers, preservatives, dyes, pesticides, or herbicides.
Add the supplement to your smoothies, salads, popcorn, or liquid of your choice by mixing one scoop with eight ounces of liquid. Keep it in the refrigerator for the best freshness. Unfortunately, the container only holds a two week supply making this a price option that also requires work as you need to mix it and drink it to gain the benefits.
- BOOSTS IMMUNITY & ENERGY - Clinical research shows spirulina boosts immunity by positively impacting antioxidant activity & immune markers in your body’s cells. Gram per gram, Hawaiian Spirulina has 3,900% more beta carotene than carrots & 31 times more antioxidant activity than the immune-boosting superfood, blueberries. This antioxidant capacity supports cellular health and immunity.
- SUPERIOR NUTRITION – Hawaiian Spirulina is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals, and contains some of the highest levels of protein of any plant or animal source. This superfood contains up to 70% digestible, complete protein, high levels of iron, beta carotene, and other healthful nutrients including B12, vitamin K, chlorophyll, and phycocyanin.
- HIGHEST QUALITY & SAFETY – We grow our own product in a USA GMP certified facility with extensive quality control & lab testing of every batch. Vegan –Kosher – Halal - Gluten & Soy Free - No fillers, preservatives, or dyes - Farm to Bottle.
- NATURALLY GROWN IN THE USA - Hawaiian Spirulina is grown naturally in Kona, Hawaii, USA, since 1984. Our unique farm to bottle process ensures high quality products from a source you can trust.
- BETTER THAN ORGANIC– Because organic-labeled spirulina uses animal waste as fertilizer in the water, it’s ONLY *grown* outside the USA, usually in China, resulting in high levels of contaminates & heavy metals, bad taste & smell, & is usually irradiated.
Some people have issues swallowing tablets and powder. If this is you, get the Spirulina Natural Capsules – 300C by Earthrise. Now you can use a supplement guaranteed by scientific and clinical studies to protect your heart, brain, and support a healthy immune system. Moreover, the supplement protects your eyes and gives you a ton of energy.
The California-grown supplement only includes two ingredients – spirulina and gelatin capsules. What you don’t get are GMO’s, pesticides, or herbicides. The pills are all stored in a dark brown bottle for longevity. Also, you get 600 mg and need to take five pills per day for 3,000 mg of natural spirulina.
Lastly, the bottle comes with 300 capsules for a two month supply. The supplement is vegan, gluten and dairy-free, non-GMO, and keto-friendly. Load up on vitamins, amino acids, and more to get your daily dose of protein. Do note that this is slightly higher priced compared to tablet form but may make your life easier as these are easier to swallow.
- Beneficial: Spirulina is a blue-green algae commonly found in freshwater lakes and streams all over the world. It's an incredible super-nutrient that's packed with plant-based protein, and is a good source of B vitamins and vitamin K. Loaded with a myriad phytonutrients, Spirulina is a perfect plant-based source of nutrition.
- 100% Vegan: A perfect source of plant-based nutrition for anyone.
- Detoxifier: Spirulina is a great source of vitamin A, vitamin K and other potent phytonutrients that help to aid in the body’s ability to naturally detoxify while giving our overall energy levels a huge boost.
- Antioxidant Support: A great source of nutrients that help to fight free radicals.
- Other Features: 4,000 IU (80% DV) Vitamin A per serving, Non-GMO, High in Glutamic Acid, Leucine, Aspartic Acid, and Alanine.
Buying Guide for Spirulina Supplements
Before picking the perfect protein-packed supplement, take a look at a few key elements you need to understand. Take a look at the benefits, side effects, and what the supplement can do for our bodybuilding routine.
Spirulina is a blue-green micro-algae that grows in both fresh and saltwater. The plant has two species, including Artrospria platensis and Arthrospira maxima. Moreover, it serves as a whole food for people, livestock, and even fish feed because it’s so chockfull of beneficial nutrients.
As for nutrition, in one ounce of spirulina, you get 81 calories, 39 grams of protein, 1 gram of fiber, and less than one gram of sugar. The fat level is only three percent of your daily value. You get omega fatty acids 3 and 6 along with up to 19 amino acids.
It’s also a great source of copper, iron, manganese, magnesium, sodium, potassium, riboflavin, thiamin, niacin, and pantothenic acid. You get smaller amounts of at least ten other vitamins and minerals as well.
In the plant world, chlorella is a cousin to spirulina. Both are algae found in fresh and saltwater. It has a few more species, but the most popular form for supplements is Chlorella vulgaris. You can often find the cousins paired together because they work so well together with similar health benefits and high-nutrient content.
All the vitamins and nutrients found in spirulina spell out good health for you. The algae can help you detox from heavy metals, including arsenic. It can also eliminate candida from your system, prevent cancer, lower blood pressure, and cholesterol, lower stroke risks, reduce sinus allergies, improve memory, and increase energy.
Furthermore, anemia can fight anemia. The supplement may improve muscle strength and endurance, which means you can work out longer. With all these benefits, it’s no wonder the supplement is labeled a superfood.
For more information on the benefits of spirulina, watch this video:
The great news about spirulina is it’s safe and extremely difficult to overdose on. However, the supplement may cause a few digestive issues as it cleans and detoxes your systems. It could cause digestive issues like nausea, diarrhea, bloating, and cramping. Start off with lower doses and work up to higher doses with time.
Furthermore, some individuals may have an autoimmune reaction from spirulina. If you have immunity issues, talk to your doctor before taking spirulina or chlorella supplements. Pregnant women should speak with their physician before taking the supplement.
The real problem though, is contaminated spirulina as it can cause liver damage, rapid heartbeat, and several other problems. Always check the bottle and the company for quality control. If the pills are a deep jade green, don’t take them.
Questions About Spirulina Supplements for Workouts & Bodybuilding
Will spirulina help me recover from a workout?
Yes! The high protein content makes spirulina one of the best ingredients to help your muscles recover after a session at the gym. Also, the fatty acid content promotes muscle recovery too. As the supplement helps your body to deliver more oxygen to the muscles and organs, it can help with endurance along with recovery. Take it after a workout to help with the recovery process.
Can spirulina improve my muscle strength?
Yes, several studies have proven a connection between spirulina and improved muscle strength in both sedentary and active people. To get the best benefit take up to 7.5 grams of spirulina per day. Moreover, spirulina improves the oxygenation of the muscles, all of which help to improve your muscles, which will lead to more strength. Not to mention, protein helps to build muscles, and the algae is high in protein.
What’s the best way to take spirulina for bodybuilding?
As it’s a superfood and full of protein, you can take spirulina any way you like. If you want even extra protein, you can take it with a protein shake or in a smoothie. Any way you take the supplement will majorly improve your health. Take it in the morning before a workout for the energy and after to help with recovery.
Our favorite supplement for workouts is the easy to swallow Organic Spirulina Supplement by Micro Ingredients. Not only do you get 3 grams of the algae, but it’s also an organic source without creepy ingredients. Take the best natural multi-vitamin to improve your muscle strength, endurance, and recovery for a better life and more energy. You may even be able to replace a large chunk of your supplement with this powerful superfood.
Last Updated on